Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday (27): We're BACK!

"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly meme hosted by "Breaking the Spine" were bloggers can post their anticipated upcoming publications!

I am pleased to be back in April with some more Waiting on Wednesday posts! The Blog & I, kind of took a hiatus from everything in general during March - trying to finish up school, and deal with multitude of family issues. BUT! With spring on its way (BAH! I love the sun) and some AMAZING books coming out we are back in business! SO! Without further adieu I give you my WoW pick for this week.

"The Friday Society" by Adrienne Kress
Expected Publication: December 6, 2012
Publisher: Dial (Penguin Group USA)

"Be your own hero..."

"Set in London at the turn of the last century, the novel follows the stories of three intelligent and very talented young women, all of whom are assistants to very powerful men: Cora, lab assistant to a member of parliament; Michiko, Japanese fight assistant to a martial arts guru; and Nellie, a magician's assistant. The three young women’s lives become inexorably intertwined after a chance meeting at a ball that ends with the discovery of a murdered mystery man."

"It’s up to these three, in their own charming but bold way, to solve the murder—and the crimes they believe may be connected to it‐‐without calling too much attention to themselves."

Thoughts: I had the luxury of meeting Adrienne Kress at our RazOrbill launch party in February - she was absolutely the type of author and person I can see myself being friends with! She is just - AWESOME - there is no other word to describe her :) When she was telling me about her upcoming debut Y.A. novel, I couldn't help but be excited, and captivated about these three women she has woven such an exciting mystery around! Now seeing the cover, and full synopsis on goodreads.com, I remember why I adore steampunk, and Adrienne so much. But honestly, just LOOK at that cover! On first glance I instantly thought "these girls are "Bad-Ass"! - one is holding a samuri sword, one is holding a gun, and the other looks like she could bewitch you with one glare! The synopsis keeps you even more captivated, who doesn't want a good mystery entangled with strong, and independant women? The catch phrase "Be your own hero..." I couldn't help thinking this is the perfect book for me. I adore a rebellious heroine driven plot, and Adrienne is delivering THREE all in one story. I just couldn't be more excited about this upcoming Steampunk novel; be on the look out come winter 2012, "The Friday Society" is going to take the bookshelves by storm!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that must have been so cool!! Now that you've said all of that, I'm even more excited about the novel! Damn it.

    New LinkyFollower. :)

    Patricia // My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! I know eh! Everytime I look throught peoples WoW's I always remember why I am SO excited forthe book but then I realize I have to wait FOREVER for them to come out! lol. But thanks for the comment :) & becoming a "linky" follower!

      I'll be checking out your WoW soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow this looks really good, Jackie! I've only read one steampunk, which I couldn't get into, but am eager to try more and this looks like a good next candidate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a TON of really different Steampunks out there, and you just have to find the right "type" I suppose, lol! Have you tried Cassandra Clare's "Clockwork Angel" & "Clockwork Prince" they are steampunk but more of a lighter steampunk I guess you can say, lol. ALSO! I have heard RAVING reviews about "The Girl in the Steel Corsett" by Kady Cross I haven't read it yet but I'm going to assume it is heavy on the Steampunk genre, where Cassandra Clare is a mix of steampunk & supernatural (and also playing off her already created world of the Shadow Hunters) so its a good mix.

      I am really excited about this book because I feel like it'll be like a Sherlocks Holmes sort of book but of course with 3 female heroines!

      Delete